I think by now we’ve established my deep love for colour and pattern. But sometimes it’s nice to pare things down a bit and go back to basics. That’s when the classic combination of black + white (or even black + cream) comes in. Here’s a collage of black + white patterns – in fashion, art and for the home. Because, let’s be honest, my brain is never not thinking about prints. Oh and the other great thing about black + white: it makes a great counterpoint for bright pops of colour!
Hope you enjoy this ‘palette cleanser’ and get ready for lots more colour next week.
Image credits (clockwise from top left):
- Black + white pattern play in Proenza Schouler’s Fall 2013 collection courtesy of NYMag.com
- Clayton Knight’s “Manhattan” textile from 1925, courtesy of the fabulous Design is Fine
- “Following” pillow by Liz Nehdi. Available to purchase here. This has been a best selling design in my shop and is also available on tote bags, mugs, iPhone cases and other products
- "Te Hatete o te reo #12" by Ngatai Taepa, from 2010, courtesy of Artsy
- "Optical Trickery" by Camille Walala
- A look from Stella McCartney’s Pre-Fall 2014 collection, courtesy of Style.com
- A hand-rendered pattern by Hironori Yasuda from the 1980s, courtesy of Centuria
- Yalka Tjukurrpa (bush onion) by Mary Roberts Nakamarra, 2011
- Jurk dress available at Essential Antwerp
Please click here to subscribe to the Liz Nehdi Studio inspiration journal. You'll get occasional updates, behind-the-scenes shots from inside the studio, styling and trend advice, as well as exclusive promotions (including 10% off your first order!)